Thursday, March 7, 2013

Put down that donut!

From my baby shower, nom nom nom nom nom
So, this is a post about getting back to my pre-sweet Caroline body. I'm not afraid to admit that I I gained a little under 40 pounds during my pregnancy, which was much more than I ever thought I would. You know what I blame? Those freaking beautiful, yummy, heavenly donuts. On my way to work, I pass by two Dunkin Donuts. During my pregnancy, I would often use self constraint and make it past that first Dunkin Donuts without stopping... and then celebrate by getting a decaf coffee and two donuts at the second one. FAIL. Many lunch breaks were spent eating and then going out to get a milkshake, a frappuccino, or a white hot chocolate. I had never in my life had a sweet tooth, and pregnancy made it out of control. Obviously, a lot more than donuts contributed to the 40 pound gain, but they sort of represent my lack of healthy eating during pregnancy. Yes, there were also veggies and fruit consumed to give my lady the nutrients she needed, but those should have replaced the donuts, not supplemented them.

During the week following delivery, I lost about 20 of those 40 pounds (over eight of those pounds were pure, donut fed, eight pound baby). In the week following that, about 5 pounds slowly faded away. And then it happened. Someone hit the "pause" button on my scale, I hit that plateau, and I have been stuck there ever since.

Yes, it was only three months ago that I gave birth. Yes, I am thinner than most people I know. Yes, I know you are probably rolling your eyes at me right now. But, if you do the math, I am still 15 pounds more than before I got pregnant. I think I just hide it well since I am tall. And, most of it is in my bum and thighs - easy to conceal in the winter months! If you look closer, my pants are tighter, my shirts are shorter, and this is creating quite the butt crack issue (TMI? Oops!). I tried to dress nice on my first day back to work, and learned that not a single pair of my work pants fit me. Thank goodness my office is casual!

I have set a goal for myself and it is to eat healthier, be more active, and PUT DOWN THAT DONUT! My cravings for sweets have dropped dramatically since the second Caroline "popped out" (don't we wish delivery was really that simple?), but I do still like to treat myself to goodies. I won't punish myself and drop my goodies completely, but I need to be better. Instead of a frappuccino at Starbucks, I need to order a smoothie... they cost the same, I love them both, and one seems a wee bit healthier than the other. I already took a big step in this department by ordering my first "skinny" beverage of my life. And, guess what. I loved it!!

I have been trying to cook healthier for myself and Josh (although, I cannot resist that bacon he makes me on the weekends!). I have cut fried foods out of my diet completely and they are not missed. I live for sites like Skinnytaste that make healthier versions of my favorites. I only drink sodas now when we are getting fast food and it's in the combo. I have also cut down on my ridiculous snacking habits, which got way out of control during my maternity leave (something about having that kitchen nearby is dangerous).

Despite these changes in my diet, that scale just will not budge! Grr, scale. So, I need to be more active, too. My job isn't exactly helping, as I sit at a desk all day. And it has been chilly, so I haven't been walking with Caroline. And, when in the world am I supposed to find time (and money) to go to a gym? SO, now that I am getting my eating habits under control, I need to come up with some way to become more active!

My goal is to drop some weight before the beach in May so I feel like myself in a bathing suit, and to possibly even be at my pre-pregnancy weight by July when we travel to Barcelona. I have no clue if these goals are realistic, as I have never dieted before, but at least it's something to strive for! Even if the numbers on the scale don't drop, I at least want to tone up some of this extra stuff! I just want to feel like me again and for my butt crack issue to be resolved ;) AND I want to be a healthier person, and a good diet and exercise are key!

You can take my donuts, but you can never have my cheesecake!!!!

 

4 comments: