Thursday, September 20, 2012

OBX Trip!!

Sadly, we are back from our vacation. As all vacations, it wasn't nearly long enough. So, here's what we did :)

We left early, early, early Saturday (5:30am is early, early, early). First stop was Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and biscuits! We continued this pig-esque behavior for the remainder of the trip. My excuse: pregnancy. Josh's excuse: human garbage disposal. After our Dunkins, we also stopped for: Chocolate donut with decaf coffee, some cheese and beef jerky, chicken fingers and fries from Zaxby's, and lastly, chocolate donut and decaf iced coffee from a Dunkins express. Traveling makes us hungry :) Once we finalllllly made it to the Outer Banks, we checked into our hotel (the fancy Ramada Plaza in Kitty Hawk; thanks Priceline Negotiator!). Our hotel was oceanfront, but our room was not - that's what I get for being a cheapskate. We relaxed in the hotel for a bit, and then headed off to dinner at The Black Pelican. That restaurant is special to us because it's where Josh took me to eat before proposing to me [the first time] on the beach! Last time we were there, I wasn't old enough to drink. This time when we were there, I was a bit pregnant and couldn't drink. Silly Black Pelican, you never let me drink your booze! Josh ordered the shrimp on the barbie and I ordered the seafood risotto (complete with shrimp, scallops, and crab). Josh insisted on ordering dessert (he's using my pregnancy as an excuse to always get dessert, and I'm okay with that), a delicious flan :) 

Sunday, we started off the day with Stack 'Em High Pancakes! My parents used to take us there as kids, so I felt the need to go back :) I got orange juice, coffee, strawberries, and a short stack of pancakes. Josh got orange juice, coffee, bacon (which I definitely helped eat), and a belgium waffle with bananas. Nom nom nom!!! After our feast, we went for a walk on the beach. We made it some ways, took the below photos, and then had to turn around because I had to pee (silly baby). We then walked a bit further and headed back the hotel. Then, it was check-out time. I checked us out while Josh played with the resident cockatoo, Sabrina. Well, Sabrina played nice and Josh put her back on her perch. Apparently Sabrina liked Josh and wasn't done with him because she grabbed his finger with her beak and wouldn't let go. Once she let go, Josh had a chunk of his finger gone soooo, first stop after checkout: Walgreens for band-aids!!




After our adventure in first-aid, we went to tons of tourist shops. Let me tell you, trying to find souvenir clothes when you're 30 weeks pregnant is depressing! Nothing fits, guys. Josh managed to find a great shirt. I found nothing. Le sigh. After our adventure, we met up with my parents for lunch; they were just ending their week at Ocracoke, so it worked out perfectly :) I had some delicious shrimp at Hurricane Moe's! My parents got little Caroline an Ocracoke t-shirt, got me a maternity dress, a wine coaster (pretty soon I can use that!), and a great piece of pottery. My dad bought us a croquet set because he used to play croquet with his little girls and wants us to do the same with ours; I love my dad :) We also got two tubs filled with clothes that Allison and I wore as babies - I'm going through them after I finish this blog! I got some wine from my mom: Mommy's Time Out. Can't wait until I can drink it ;) Then, it was time for shopping in Duck with my parents - I love the stores there. Josh and I started driving north, got about a block, and then I realized I forgot to get a family picture. He turned around, we met back up with my parents, and the picture was taken. I'm so glad he puts up with me :) It was a great outing, but too short! So glad I get to see them again soon.



After we said our goodbyes, we headed up to Corolla to meet up with Josh's parents and drive up to Corolla! They stay in a house that is only assessable by four wheeling on the beach. The jeep kicks butt out there! It's always a fun drive; I wish I always had the ocean beside me while driving. We all relaxed at the house for a bit before Josh and I headed back out to get some pizza for dinner! We saw a few wild horses on our drive, but I failed to photograph them... fail!

Monday, we had some awesome eggs, bacon, pancakes, OJ, and coffee for breakfast! After breakfast, Josh and I took Savannah for a walk on the beach and she got to play with her ball. Poor girl's legs still hadn't recovered from this adventure by the time we left; we exhausted her! Then, Josh, Barb and I headed out for some shopping!! We failed at finding a souvenir for little Caroline, but managed to find some souvenir shirts that didn't make me feel like a bloated blimp. We got some awesome homemade ice cream - peanut butter fudge in a waffle cone for me! SO good!!! It was a very nice outing :) After that, it was back to the house for some relaxation. For dinner, we had steaks, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes. I had Sprite in a wine glass while everyone else had wine, bwhaha!




Tuesday, we once again had an awesome breakfast, and then Josh and I headed out on our mission: baby OBX souvenir. Our favorite souvenir from our shopping adventures was a little turtle at a store in Duck. We made the 40 minute drive to Duck just to get our little girl her turtle. We had originally gone for a green turtle, but Josh spotted pink/purple ones and I was SOLD! We picked that up, stopped at the ABC store and Harris Teeter, and headed back to the beach! We had some hotdogs for lunch and then headed down to the beach with Barb. We all walked quite a ways despite the sand storm taking place - good exfoliation :) I even rocked a bikini thanks to Josh telling me I looked great and should be proud... I like him. Well, we would have walked further but a dude in a truck alerted us that there was a tornado warning, sooooo we promptly turned around! The weather was off and on nice for the rest of the day, so we relaxed before taco night!! Josh even made me a virgin margarita so I didn't feel too left out :) We had a very nice time at the "Ocean Rose" with the Brians! Next year, we'll have our little one with us!



Yesterday, we drove 13+ hours back to Florida. Ugh. Longest.Trip.Ever. But, we made it, and we are back! The kitties were very happy to see us last night and the dogs were very happy to see us today (although, the pups need some baths!!). I am a fan of this two-day work week - can all work weeks be this short?

So, it was a lovely vacation!! Loved seeing both sets of parents and spending time with them. Can't wait to see my family again in two weeks, yaaaaayyyy!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog today: however there is one mistake! Dad did not buy you a croquet set. It was stashed in a closet at the Rivah, and Nanny gladly let us have it so you can teach Bubbette to play the game as competitively as her maternal grandparents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh I did not catch the entire croquette story (you and I were in the bathroom!)

    We have one more reason now to get our backyard fixed up: croquette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your food obsession has taken over your life. You play croquet. You eat croquettes.

    ReplyDelete