Friday, August 2, 2013

Foodie Post: Mexican Casserole


Foodie post time!! Last night I made Mexican Casserole and it was a hit!! Great weeknight meal, inexpensive, hands-off enough that I had plenty of time to spend with Caroline. I'm definitely adding this to my cookbook.

Mexican Casserole
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 pound boneless skinless cubed chicken breast (I used about a pound)
  • 1/2 package taco mix (I used a whole package; I live dangerously)
  • 1 can black beans, drained (I used low sodium)
  • 1 can sweet corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup salsa (half a cup for us)
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used whatever looked like enough; I like cheese)
  • 1.5 cups crushed tortilla chips (again, I just used whatever looked like enough)
  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute chicken in oil until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa and a little water to prevent drying out. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Transfer chicken mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Guys, it was very yummy. We chose to serve it over rice, even though the recipe didn't call for rice. It reminded me a burrito bowl from Chipotle, so I made some rice at the last minute. I'm glad I did; it would have been runny and blah without rice to mix in. It was really tasty!!

And look how cute my little helper is!!!

She chose furniture while we ate! (and then ate the catalog)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment