Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Graduation weekend fun!

I am back to to blog, woohoo! I had a lovely, lovely weekend in Virginia. I don't have to whine about freaking Monday today, because my Monday was great. Now, this Tuesday on the other hand... work messes up everything.

So, let me discuss my loverly weekend :)

Thursday, the husband was kind enough to drive me to the airport. Once we said goodbye, I went through security to get on my plane. Now, security always makes me nervous. I'm a nervous flyer. The flight itself never makes me nervous; I'm completely calm once I'm on the plane. It's just getting on my plane, connecting flights, etc. that makes me a nervous wreck. So, of course, security wouldn't go smoothly. First, I have to get my head patted down because of my bobby pins. Nope, those are not weapons, missy. However, the knife that I was unknowingly concealing in a bag within a bag... yep, that's a weapon. TSA destroyed my luggage, going through my panties, dresses, etc. to find this weapon. It was the freaking knife I use to cut cheese at my office. I tried to sneak it on to the plane. Way to go, Kaitlin, way to go. Finally, after repacking my bags, saying goodbye to my beloved cheese knife, and awkwardly finding a place to sit at my now-crowded gate, I was on my way to Virginia! I got in around 11, and then hung out with the family :) Such an exciting Thursday!

Friday, my dad made eggs and sausage for breakfast, nom nom nom! Then, we hung around before going to Short Pump. My gosh, I miss that mall. We had a light lunch there and then headed off to Charlottesville! We started the unpacking/cleaning of Allison's apartment, did some shopping at the UVA bookstore, and then headed off to some Mexican for dinner. Grilled shrimp quesidillas were my choice; SO GOOD. Allison and I grabbed a Redbox movie (What's Your Number?) so I got to stare at Chris Evans' near nakedness, which made me happy. Then it was off to bed on my comfy air mattress.

Well, Saturday, I woke up on the floor. My air mattress had deflated. Thanks, air mattress! So, the back was a wee bit sore in the morning. First, we headed off to an alumni breakfast for graduating students (my mom is a UVA alumni). I love free breakfast, guys. It was delicious! Nom nom nom nom nom. Then, we headed off to downtown Charlottesville to check out the farmer's market. It was fun to walk around, but we didn't actually get anything. We then headed back to campus for a reception at the President's house. It was nice! Free food again (nom nom nom cheese) and punch (I love punch). We got to tour the house, and had a nice time! I think after that (we did so much, the sequence of events is soooo off in my mind), we hit up the UVA bookstore again, and Allison got her fancy pant's diploma frame. She also got her very first pillow pet. I got a UVA t-shirt. Gotta represent Virginia in Florida, of course! Then we did other stuff (my mind is drawing a blank, I am sleepy). Then, DINNER! We ate in downtown Charlottesville at Positively 4th Street. Delicious. I had a Whole Wheat Rigatoni, which was sooo delicious. Oh how I love me some "boring" pasta :) After that, we relaxed in the parents' hotel room, where I got hungry again (I know, everyone is shocked), so I treated us all to some Ben & Jerry's. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, chocolate! We then went back to Allison's apartment, grabbed our clothes for graduation, and headed back to the hotel (I was not sleeping on the floor again, bahahah) for a good night's sleep!

Sunday was graduation day! The day started off with a continental breakfast that was fantastic! We then headed to campus, dropped Allison off at her sorority house, and then headed for the Lawn to get some seats! So. Many People. There were over 6,000 graduates. Each graduate got three guest tickets. Everyone was on the lawn. So. Many. People. We got decent seats and relaxed until the procession started. It took an hour to get 6,000 graduates on the lawn. We actually managed to spot Allison in the crowd (thanks to the balloons her sorority gave her)! We then sat for another hour and a half through speeches. So. Long. Katie Couric's speak was cute; the other's were boring. Thankfully, we were in the shade for the majority of the ceremony. Once this ceremony was over, it was onto Allison's politics ceremony. This started late, so we sat for another hour and a half (in a non-airconditioned gym, fun!). But it was soo worth it, because Miss Allison got her degree :) Then it was a photoshoot on the lawn, of course! Then back to the apartment to move the rest of Allison's stuff out of her apartment, and then back to Richmond! Texas Roadhouse was the dinner choice. We were so, so happy to eat considering none of us had eaten since the continental breakfast about 12 hours before. I got an amaaaazing prime rib. SO GOOD. Then, it was off to Nanny's to drop off Allison's new stuff. It was so nice to see her, even if just for a little while :) I got to show her pictures of her new great grandson, Henry - that made her so happy. Then, it was off to the house where I pretty much immediately collapsed into bed for a 10.5 hours slumber. AMAZING.

Monday, dad made eggs and bacon for breakfast, nommmm! Then, it was time to say goodbye to the sister who had lifeguard recertification - le sad :( The parents and I headed off to the Williamsburg outlets, where I got some new shirts and a delicious lunch (mmm, seafood springrolls). Good times :) Then, it was off to the airport, womp womp. It was so le sad to say bye to the parents, as it always is. The good thing is I made it through security without being a national threat! Hooray! The bad thing is my flight was delayed due to weather in Atlanta. Typical. Sooooo, when I got to Atlanta, I got to rush from concourse A to concourse E to a flight which, for all I knew, had already left according to the boards. Luckily, it was still there! I ended up being 45 minutes late to Tallahassee, but at least the husband was there to get me :) We went home, I downed a piece of chocolate cream pie for dinner (I was starved but it was the only thing I had the energy to eat) and then collapsed!

Holy cow, that was a long blog. SORRY! But I did a lot of stuff, bahahahaha! Thanks to my family for a lovely weekend; love and miss you guys!!!!

I should probably work now.

4 comments:

  1. Missing you muchly :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad you were so close, yet so far....miss you! Glad you had fun and did lots of epic eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I miss ilovefood :(

    ReplyDelete