Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Foodie Post: Parmesan Chicken and Rice

Hello and happy hump day! You may have noticed I ended my weekly food updates. Honestly, they were annoying me. And, it's pretty embarrassing to admit that Josh and I will have a week where we eat grilled cheese and soup three nights in a row. Hey, when money is tight you do what ya gotta do. Pardon my grammar. I got carried away.

Anywho, I think I'm going to blog about food only when I think the food is worthy of being blogged about. My grilled cheese sandwiches may be the best thing since sliced bread (funny, because they basically are just sliced bread, but moving on), but they are not blog worthy. From now on, I will share recipes we like and I think you guys may like, too. 

This brings me to my point. Last night's dinner was delicious. It got the following reaction from my husband: "this dinner is a make again; no ifs, ands, or buts about it." He says he isn't picky, but I think otherwise, so I LOVE when dinners are labeled as make agains.

Last night, I made Parmesan Chicken and Rice, which was not only delicious, but was supposedly also "lite." Here's the recipe, guys.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion 
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms 
  • 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces 
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup uncooked instant rice
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese 
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION
  1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Add wine, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
  2. Stir in rice and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese and parsley.
Bottom line: it was tasty! The prep took a bit, due to the chopping of the onion, chicken, and parsley. However, I'm the slowest chopper on earth, so this is more of a personal problem. It's a super easy weeknight meal that was easy on the wallet (I already had most of the ingredients) and simple to make.
Hello, I am food and I am delicious. Nom nom nom, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment