Sunday, December 16, 2012

Random Thoughts Blog.

Random thoughts blog on this lovely Sunday morning!

  • Last night Josh and I experienced our first baby blowout. I think he described it best on his Facebook:
"It finally happened, that thing every parent gets at some point-- a blow out. It's that moment when your baby, who has been constipated for days, finally lets her bowels go. The entire front of the diaper and back of the diaper is consumed by the foul matter before it starts exploding out of the top of the diaper and all around the legs.  
Nothing was safe. The onesie and pants were absolutely covered. I should have been a surgeon. The skills I used to get all of the clothing off of Caroline without making her more uncomfortable was mind-blowing.  
On the bright side, I found out that Caroline likes semi-bath showers."
  • I have truly enjoyed having my non-pregnant body back. This morning, Josh went to the store and brought back donuts and I could successfully do my "Kaitlin happy dance," which consists of twisting my body around... something that was impossible with a baby in the belly! It feels good that my shirts are once again long enough and my pants once again fully button. Some pants I couldn't get up past my expanding thighs now fit with no problem - score! I have lost 25 pounds since she was born, but still have more to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm not stressing over it; what's the rush? At least I'm no longer craving donuts. That should help the cause ;) I would like my wedding rings to fit again, please. Shrink, fingers, shrink!
  • I think she has outgrown her first outfit. The one pictured below. It's newborn size and her little legs are now too long for it. Either it shrank or she grew, but it will be the first outfit to be removed from her closet and placed in a tub to be packed away (I'm planning to save all of her clothes in case future baby #2 is also a lady (or a boy who's very fond of pink)).
First outfit to be outgrown!
  • Wine is just as amazing as I remembered it to be. I'm not exactly chugging it, since I'm breastfeeding. But, the small glass I can have every night is amazing! I have to drink it right after I feed her so the booze can leave my system; don't want a drunken baby! Beer hasn't really struck my fancy, but wine... amazing!
  • We're still trying to figure out who she looks like. It's pretty hard to tell at 3 weeks old. She definitely got Josh's dark brown eyes. Apparently her eyes were blue when she was born, but quickly turned color. We think she got her nose, but it's hard to tell because she still has "baby nose." Her hair on her head is brown in some lighting and blonde in other lighting (just like mine), but her eyelashes are super light colored and her eyebrows are ridiculously blonde - she may have gotten the Rose blondness :) She got her dad's toes, as I knew she would. And she is a lanky little thing, just like both of us. I was never a chubby baby, and I don't think she will be either. 
  • She has finally reached her birthweight! I have been supplementing her with formula to get her there, and she gained about half a pound in two days because of it! I don't mind supplementing with the formula, as long as she's getting some of the good stuff from me, as well! It's nice because Josh can help feed her with the formula after I feed her. She has her next doctor's visit on December 27th, so we'll see how much more weight she has gained soon!
  • Buying Christmas gifts for a newborn is difficult. I want to fill her stocking, but everyone has been so generous and given us so many things, I don't even know what to put in there! Josh and I aren't really giving each other gifts this year since I'm on unpaid maternity leave (come on Christmas bonus! We need you!) so I'm not sure how eventful Christmas morning will be. We haven't taken her to see Santa Claus this year because flu season is so bad and she's so tiny and fragile, it's just not worth the risk. Next year we'll start taking her to see Santa, going to see Christmas lights, and filling her stocking with amazing things. This year, I don't think she really has a clue what's going on :)
  • It was so nice having our families here to help us out! They also helped make our home feel more like a home :) My mom bought us an amazing area rug for the living room, bought us two new awesome pans, and helped us get our Christmas tree! Josh's parents got us some great lamps for the living room, set up a dimmer light for the living room because ours was SO bright, and fixed the wiring for our TV so we didn't have to get an electrician. They also all fixed us some great meals, which provided us with leftovers until Thursday! I guess I'll actually have to start cooking now ;) Next visitor is my sister, Allison, YAY!!! She's visiting in January and then going to Disney World for the first time - wish we could go with her, but a newborn in Disney World sounds a wee bit stressful.
  • The dogs and cats have been great with Caroline! Ellie is by far the most interested in her; she makes a great big sister :) She loves to rest her head on Caroline while she's in her swing and just watch her. It's absolutely adorable. The rest of the pets sort of observe her from afar, but Ellie is a hands, er, paws-on friend to her.
I can't think of any more random things at the moment! Caroline is in her swing right now and it sounds like she may be pooping - LOVELY! :) Oh well, as long as it's not a blowout like last night, we're happy!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! But whose nose does she have? And do you think she may have gained weight because she was constipated? Wonder what she weighs now :-) Love your little family soooo much (including Parker).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think she has my nose! It's so hard to tell now because she still has the newborn nose thing going on :)

    Her appointment was Wednesday and the constipation didn't start until Thursday, so I think she really did just fatten up a bit! She has been SO fussy today; I think her little belly is still really upset, poor thing :(

    Our little family loves you (especially Parker)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, she has her nose! Bwhahahaha!

    ReplyDelete