Monday, April 15, 2013

Feliz Lunes!

My blog title means "Happy Monday" in Spanish. I'm still unconvinced that there is a such thing as a happy Monday, but it makes for a good blog title.

We had a lovely weekend. Caroline ate rice cereal (see previous post) and slept for 12 straight hours Saturday night and 10 straight hours Sunday night. I'm feeling refreshed. Josh and I ate some delicious food (McDonalds pancakes, beer and food outside at Hurricane Grill, bagels from Dunkin Donuts, lunch at Newk's, and a few meals at home). Josh was in an archery tournament Saturday and did well. Caroline and I enjoyed the day together, which was tons of fun. I love that little girl! We all just enjoyed hanging out around the house for most of the day on Sunday. It was a very nice, relaxing weekend!

Caroline turned 20 weeks old yesterday. How is she that old already? I cannot handle that craziness. Time goes by so quickly!


Okay, so now I will explain the title of my post. Josh and I are officially going to BARCELONA! We were invited to a wedding and decided it was the golden opportunity to enjoy a honeymoon we never got to take. Our honeymoon consisted in a night at the Jefferson (which was amazing; such a nice hotel! We loved that gift from our parents) and then two days in Virginia Beach. After those few days, Josh had to drive back to Florida and I had to return to work in DC. So, I think we're overdue for an actual honeymoon :)

After a lot of thought, we have made the decision to travel without miss baby. This was a really hard decision for me, and I kept changing my mind. After tons of thought and tons of research on the subject, I think it's for the best to leave her home.

First, Josh and I will be able to enjoy time together. Since we live so far away from everyone, we don't really have any "built in babysitters" so we don't get any time to ourselves. I think by July we'll be ready for some alone time and adventure! And, I think we have earned the honeymoon we never got to enjoy (it's about time, right?).

Second, I think it will be a lot less stressful for Caroline if we leave her home, rather than dragging her on long plane rides and layovers, having her adjust to a different timezone (her sleeping habits are definitely now on a schedule), and taking away her from the familiarity that is her home. I have read that separation is harder for older children than it is for babies. I read that when you leave them in their familiar environment (she'll be in her own crib, with her own dogs, and go to her own daycare when needed) it is very easy on them. I think the trip is going to be a lot harder for me than for her.

And third, this is a great opportunity for Caroline's grandmothers (edit: I discovered after posting this that her Pepaw may be coming, as well!) to spend some quality time with her. As of now, the plan is for Josh's mom to take care of her for the first half of the week, and for my mom to take care of her for the second half of the week. I know they will love being able to spend time with their grandbaby, and it will give Caroline a chance to get to know them. They both did such a great job raising their kids, so we have to problem entrusting them with our Caroline Quinn :)

So, we are very excited! Josh has never traveled to Europe, so he is very, very excited! I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to survive a week away from my perfect girl, as I barely survive a nine hour work day, but video chat dates will be mandatory!!

Is it too early to start packing? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment